Consider your laptop screen displaying search results decades older for the keyword you have entered in the search bar. How would it appear? Clumsy, disgusting and irritating enough to throw your machine out of the window.
With data surge in each year, Google has foreseen the situation about struggling to meet the user expectations and keeping the content managed of trillion websites. To guard the servers from failures due to accumulated data, old and unresponsive websites, and empowering smart search features, Google has remodeled itself with smart and responsive algorithms.
Prelude to Google Algorithms
Algorithms are the logically designed mathematical tricks to address sophisticated issues at large. Google caters several websites each day with great efficacy by managing their traffic, ranking, indexing and protecting against plagiarism. All such maintenance in each second of the day and round the year is performed by the Google Algorithms.
In common terms, these algorithms are called – Google Updates. Google Updates are destined to improvise the relevance of the search results with a sole objective to eradicate search engine spam and context duplication.
Google intelligently worked to keep every content aligned to its database without affecting the performances of the websites and other soaring data silos. For this, the data was managed through Google algorithms that were re-configured from time-to-time.
12 Major SEO Google Updates:
- Panda: Came out of Google think tank in the year 2011 with an ability to induct major change in Google search results ranking algorithm, Panda update re-evaluated the websites and sorted the rankings of websites based on content quality.
- Penguin: Rolled out in 2012 with an objective to counter WebSpam, Penguin update devastated many websites as they were violating the Google guidelines. The websites were declared spam due to their involvement in artificial build-ups.
- Humming Bird: As the name suggests, this google update delivers speed and accuracy while working with natural query language. Humming Bird deeply analyzes the entered keyword and leads the user to the exact page rather than on peripheral websites.
- Mobilegeddon: When everything was going mobile, Google focussed on developing mobile-based update bringing Mobilegeddon in existence on April 21, 2015. Mobilegeddon was set to apply on individual pages not websites as whole, and affect search rankings on mobile. It compelled users to make mobile-friendly websites.
- RankBrain: Considered as a part of HummingBird update of Google, the RankBrain update, launched on October 26, 2015, was empowered with an artificial intelligence system to understand the real meaning behind the entered queries.
- Bert: The BERT algorithm (Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers) of Google affected almost 10% of the websites. Considered as the improvised version of natural learning processing, the update came into existence on Oct 1, 2019, helps a machine to understand the exact sentence structure even with minor differences.
- Broad Core : Broad Core Google update kept users confused. When questioned, Google gave clarification, “In this core update, we increased the value of keywords in H1 tags by 2%, increased the value of HTTPS by 18%, decreased the value of keyword in title tag by 9%, changed the D value in our PageRank calculation from .85 to .70, and started using a TF-iDUF retrieval method for logged in users instead of the traditional TF-PDF method.”
- Pigeon: Released on July 24, 2014, the Pigeon update was determined to increase the ranking of the local listings based on location and distance.
- Pirate: Introduced in August 2012 with a goal to curb the rankings of the websites that are already engaged in Intellectual infringements. On fixing the issue with the website, the Google update evaluates the ranking once again and assigns to the website.
- Fred: Implemented on Mach 7, 2017, the Fed update degrades the ranking of those websites that utilize back-hat techniques to secure top ranking in the search page.
- Payday loan Algorithm Update: Came in 2013, Payday Loan update was set to target spam queries and spam sites.
- Exact Match Domain update: Launched as a filter in September 2012, the EMD update was destined to filter the websites that use match words in the domain name. When the website improvises the content, the ranking gets improve.
Google will keep improving its algorithms and will bring most customized, improved and responding results. So All the Webmasters out there – BE PREPARED 🙂